Mentor Text Linky~~Language Arts

Just when you think you have all the books you could need or want along comes a new one! Language arts is the topic for this week's mentor text linky with Collaboration Cuties and I just can't wait to share my new find with you all.



The Day the Crayons Quit is so much fun!! Just look at the cover...

Duncan is a little boy who just wants to color, but when he goes to get his box of crayons he just finds a pile of letters. The crayons have QUIT! Each color writes a letter stating why.

Beige is tired of being confused with brown or dark tan...

                                      
 Look at this sad beige crayon...
 Yellow says...
 The illustrations are adorable and I love the vintage feel!
Black is tired of only being used to outline and blue doesn't want to be used for just water. The story is clever and creative!! I JUST bought this book, so I have not used it yet, but my wheels are spinning!

It would make a perfect segue into letter writing, of course. Not only could you have students write about school supplies that quit (The Day the Pencils Quit, The Day the Scissors Quit, etc), but you could also take this into other subjects like science or social studies. How about... The Day Photosynthesis Quit, The Day the Water Cycle Quit, The Day the Gravity Quit, The Day Abe Lincoln Quit...the list could go on and on.

Here is my idea: Students would brainstorm what would happen if, for example, the water cycle quit. The clouds, raindrops, sun, and lakes could each write a letter stating they are quitting their job in the water cycle. Students would need to include facts from what they have learned in their letters. What a fun way to assess knowledge of what was taught!

HERE is a little freebie if you want to try out this activity. I made some writing paper and a page for illustrations. Give students as many pages as needed to create a book OR make a class book based on the same topic. HAVE FUN!




9 comments

  1. This looks like such an adorable book. Thanks for sharing!
    Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your writing ideas - what about the day the teachers quit : )
    I will be checking this book out for sure - thanks for the writing template!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute idea! I'm looking forward to reading this book and sharing with my students!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks wonderful!! Thanks so much for sharing--I am going to pick this one to use for letter writing, for sure! I am always in the market for a new book...

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book looks wonderful and so does your writing activity. I am going to have to pick this book up!

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Find me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this book in B&N over the summer and HAD to read it. So funny, and great for teaching voice!

    Don't Let the Teacher Stay Up Late
    Follow me on Bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh that looks soooooooo cute!!! I'm gonna have to have this one, for sure!!! I love all of the ways you have thought of to use this!! Love, love, love!!

    Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw this in a book store this summer and wanted it right away, but resisted buying it. I might need to go back and pick it up now...love the writing idea!
    Aylin
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm buying this book, and totally using it for the water cycle!! :)
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey
    Follow me on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top