Today is 3 simple questions:
1. What made you decide to become a teacher?
2. What has been your most rewarding experience as a teacher?
3. If you were not a teacher, what would you be?
Here are my answers:
1. I knew I wanted to be a teacher since the 2nd grade. My Aunt Norma (who is now 92 and going strong) was my biggest inspiration! She was a teacher and when I visited her in Syracuse, NY she would take me to her school. I LOVED visiting her classroom. She used to send me old TEs and grade books, too. My dad set up my "classroom" in the garage with a chalkboard and desk. I was in Heaven!
2. My most rewarding moments are seeing students from past classes. I recently saw a student at a local parade running for town council. Another student is in his second year at Notre Dame and another is starting Penn State. I love getting emails from students telling me about books they are reading or how something I taught them has helped them in later grades. A mom I saw last week told me how grateful she was that I played a part in her son's education. WOW! What a compliment! I'm very proud of the lives I've touched.
3. I have NO idea what I would be if I weren't a teacher. I really don't! I think this is what I was meant to be!