Reader's Workshop Up & Running (a read aloud, too)

Reader's workshop is running very smoothly so far this year, and I couldn't be happier. My students are feeling independent and they are being so responsible with their work. We have worked through and have mastered Read to Self and Work on Writing and they just love it! One little girl said, "Reading is my favorite time of the day!" My heart was so happy!

I am thrilled with how my reader's notebook forms are looking, too. I finally got around to updating and revising the ones I had been using. Based on the work in Guiding Readers and Writers (Grades 3-6): Teaching, Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy, I was able to create notebook forms that I think are valuable and useful and will allow my students to become thinkers in reading.

Here is my Reader's Notebook: The Essential Forms set showing some of the forms I created:


The notebooks are divided into 5 sections: Reading Resources (handouts or reference sheets they will use all year), Reading History, Reading Skills/Strategy work, Word Work, and Reading Partnerships.

I had students complete a Beginning of the Year Reading Inventory first. This form doubles as the End of Year Inventory. Students will be able to see how they changed over the year.


I love what this student wrote on his Inventory. 

During Read to Self time, they work in their notebooks keeping track of books they read, genres they read, creating a personal word wall by tuning into new/interesting words, and responding to literature.
They really do love their notebooks and book boxes! I'm so proud of how well they have picked up the routine. This week we will start conferencing and setting individual reading goals to be displayed on our CAFE board.


















My kiddos are lovin' our current read aloud. It's called Fake Mustache: Or, How Jodie O'Rodeo and Her Wonder Horse (and Some Nerdy Kid) Saved the U.S. Presidential Election from a Mad Genius Criminal Mastermind. How's that for a title?? I guarantee your kids will have fun with this one! I'm really enjoying it.

This is one of the books on the Sunshine State Young Readers Award list. Check out the list HERE for more great titles for grades 3-5 and middle school.



Tom Angleberger also wrote these favorites:  The Surprise Attack of Jabba the Puppett: An Origami Yoda Book, The Strange Case of Origami Yoda, The Secret of the Fortune Wookiee: An Origami Yoda Book, and Darth Paper Strikes Back: An Origami Yoda Book. My kids love these, too!

What are your kids reading? Any suggestions for read alouds?


No comments

Back to Top