Mentor Text Linky~~Science

I'm linking up today with Collaboration Cuties for their Must Read Mentor Texts linky party!

Today's focus is science. Kids love science and I like to use as many different texts as possible to teach a concept. (Our science book just isn't enough.) Lynne Cherry is a favorite author of mine. Her books focus on the environment and environmental issues.
Living in South Florida where we have mangrove habitats, I like to share this book, The Sea, the Storm, and the Mangrove Tangle:



 I love her endpapers (those are the pages before the title page and after the text of the book). In this book she shows maps of where mangroves grow and plants and animals that inhabit them. 

The story takes you through the life of a mangrove from seed to full grown. Over the years, the mangrove is home to many species of animals above and below the water. This is a must read if you are studying habitats.

  

















Lynne Cherry's books mix fact with fiction which I love. If you are using this book, or others like it, you may want your kids to think about the facts embedded (good word to teach them through this activity) in the story. I created this handout or you could simply have students use a notebook, to find and list facts from fiction.

Explain to your students that a book like this would need to be read more carefully than a fiction book because of the facts.  A book like this lends itself to a good discussion about author's purpose since kids could say that it was written to entertain since it's fiction, to persuade you to protect the environment, or to inform you about the habitat. Be sure to ask for proof from the story to support their ideas. Hope this is a strategy you will try with your students!


Have a great week!!

6 comments

  1. Oh, I love Lynne Cherry's books! A River Runs Wild is one of my faves!
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Lynne Cherry too! Her illustrations are gorgeous! I have never heard of this book! It looks fantastic! You always know the best books!

    Thanks so much for linking up! I hope you have a great week!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have an outdoor classroom. I bet my students would love to sit neat the wetland areas and read this! Thanks for sharing.
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea to have your students find facts within this fiction story-- this has to be such a great lesson for them! I would like to do something similar once I feel like my little first graders have a firm grasp on the differences between fiction and non fiction to help them find true facts! Thanks for the idea :)
    Aylin
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book looks beautiful! Adding it to my list! Thanks!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of this book either! I will have to add it to my wishlist!! Thank you:)

    Aloha,
    Corinna (✿◠‿◠)
    Surfin' Through Second

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top